Thursday, March 13, 2008

reflection on "Language Learner Behaviour in a Virtual Environment"

Online chatroom is new idea for me. I never use this kind of technology in my teaching before. And I never use it in my study. I don't know that it is a good tool for teaching and learning or not.

In one of our tutorials before, we tried to have a taste in using an online chatroom. It was quite interesting for me. But it was also quite difficult for me, too. I didn't know what I have to do with it. Eventually, I found the way to participate in (read all the commands). I found that people have to memorize all the commands very well in order to participate and response quickly.

I believe that the students are familiar with the technology that they used in the classroom (in this reading). And also, the school facilities are essential, too.

I think that online chatroom is good for the students, who are nervous to speak or express themselves in the classroom. But it is not enough for them. They have to try to communicate with others orally (face-to-face communication). It helps them to practice their interpersonal skills (which is good for their future). I think that online chatroom can be used as part of teaching to encourage the students the express more. I believe that the nervous students will be happy to use it (if it was found in the past, I can be a more active student).

No comments: